Live Webinar: Water Law for Colorado Real Estate Professionals
WATER LAW FOR REAL ESTATE PROFESSIONALS is accredited by the Colorado Real Estate Commission for two (2) CE credits. Attorney Leila Behnampour’s course provides practical knowledge to help real estate professionals better navigate negotiations and conversations when water rights and structures are involved. Leila also shares the interesting history and development of water rights in Colorado. Attendees will gain a workable understanding of water law, including how to conduct due diligence on water rights, and how to convey water rights and water structures. Learn what pitfalls to avoid and when to seek specialized legal and engineering help.
- Gain a basic understanding of Colorado water law
- Learn how to best inform and advise your clients when water rights are involved in the sale of a property
- Understand how water is used and administered in the state
- Receive 2 credit hours
When looking to purchase rural property, consider these seven due diligence tasks:
- Identify the legal drinking and household water supply.
- Consult an engineer to assist with physical water supply questions.
- Learn about water quality.
- Identify additional water needs/desires such as outdoor irrigation, livestock, and hot tubs, and whether the existing water supply is legally and physically sufficient for those needs.
- Consider examining record title ownership to water rights to be conveyed. Title insurance typically does not ensure water rights.
- Learn your rights and responsibilities when it comes to ditches that cross your property.
- Consider engaging a water attorney to help with due diligence early to protect yourself and your investment.
About the Instructor
Leila Behnampour is a water law attorney with Somach Simmons & Dunn in Boulder. She has more than a decade of experience representing water users and water managers across Colorado, helping clients understand how they can legally use and protect their water rights. Leila regularly conducts due diligence investigations for water rights and assists public and private sector clients with the purchase and sale of water rights. Follow the firm on LinkedIn and Subscribe to Firm News & Events.
- fall/winter classes TBD (to arrange a private class, see booking info below)
- September 22, 2020 – Private webinar sponsored by Land Title Guarantee Company [registration closed]
- September 9, 2020 – Live Webinar sponsored by the Boulder Area Realtors Association, complimentary for members of BARA and $25 for non-members.
- August 12, 2020 – Private webinar sponsored by Fidelity National Title
- July 23, 2020 – Water Law for REALTORS, a program for members of the Longmont Association of Realtors
- April 2, 2020 – Live Webinar for members of the Boulder Area Realtors Association
Handouts & Related Reading
- Leila is active in the Colorado real estate community, teaching quarterly water law classes for industry professionals to help educate the public about water in Colorado. To inquire about private presentations for your team or group, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Read more news and alerts »