January 14, 2023 | Written by Somach Simmons & Dunn
#SomachSpeaks: Events & Activities, First Quarter 2023
Our Somach Simmons & Dunn attorneys are sharing their expertise throughout the first quarter of 2023.
#SomachSpeaks － Events & Activities in Q1 2023
- February 23, Sacramento, CA: Michelle Chester presents “Legal and Institutional Management Framework” during the Water Education Foundation’s Water 101 Workshop, hosted at McGeorge School of Law. The full agenda will cover history & geography of California water; water rights; the big water projects, including State Water Project & Central Valley Project; groundwater use & the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act; the legal & institutional management framework; water use & demand; water bills in the Legislature & the legislative process.
- February 23-24, Reno, NV: Paul Simmons speaks during the Family Farm Alliance Annual Conference: “SCOTUS and Western Water – The Highest Court in the Land Gets Busy in Your Backyard.” This panel discussion includes Western water attorneys engaged in recent U.S. Supreme Court cases with important ramifications for Western farmers and ranchers, including the Sackett “Waters of the U.S.” case awaiting decision, the Navajo Nation v Department of Interior case on cert petition from the 9th Circuit, and the ongoing SCOTUS saga of Texas v New Mexico.
- February 14, Denver, CO: The Colorado Real Estate Journal’s Residential & Commercial Land Development Conference features Ramsey Kropf on a panel of experts in water and real estate development. It is important for stakeholders to look ever more closely at water when purchasing lands or changing lands for development. Panelists will discuss how municipal bond issuers are evaluating water supply risks, how homebuilders have to look at water supply risks, the importance of due diligence and legal review for water supplies, and how climate change factors have and will continue to influence those reviews.
- February 4, Sacramento, CA: We’re pleased to sponsor the 19th Annual California Water Law Symposium, Diverse Needs: Species Protection and Water Supply. Kelley Taber joins a panel to discuss “Innovations in Accommodating Water Supply and Species Protection.”
- January 25-27, Reno, NV: It’s the 55th annual Mid Pacific Water Users Conference! Paul Simmons moderates a panel discussion titled “The ESA at Fifty: What Would President Nixon Think?”
- January 19, Virtual: Rich Deitchman joins the ABA Real Property section for a panel discussion about due diligence for water transactions.
#ICYMI － In Case You Missed It
- Michelle Chester has been elevated to shareholder! We’re proud to welcome her into the partnership and look forward to seeing her continued success in the future.
- Welcome associate Krisha Yadav-Ranjan.
- Our Colorado shareholders were named “Denver’s Top Lawyers of 2023“
- Wrapped: Visit our 2022 Year in Review
- WE’RE HIRING! Visit the CAREERS page to learn more.
- STAY CONNECTED and SUBSCRIBE. SSD publishes Policy Alerts on case decisions, legal trends, and key developments within the fields of water, natural resources, environmental, public land, public agency, toxics, and hazardous waste, and land development law. We typically post twice monthly and whenever we can add value to timely events in our communities.
Published January 14, 2023
Read more news and alerts »