We invite you to keep virtual tabs on Somach attorneys with this roundup of our news and events over the last months of 2020.
#SomachSpeaks – Events & Activities in Q4 2020
- September Flashback – Shareholders Nick Jacobs and Aaron Ferguson recently spoke on the intersection of SGMA and groundwater adjudication for the Third Annual Western Groundwater Congress. Read Full Transcript
- October 9 (rescheduled from May 8) – Live CLE Webcast: Leila Behnampour moderates a panel on evidentiary issues during the Colorado Bar Association’s Water Cases: Negotiation and Mediation.
- October 29 – Virtual CLE Event: As section chair of the Natural Resources and Environment Committee of the Boulder Bar, Leila Behnampour has organized Status Update on Climate Change Lawsuit filed by City of Boulder, Boulder County, and San Miguel County Against ExxonMobil and Suncor by Marco Simons, counsel for City of Boulder. This one-hour CLE will be a presentation on the background and current status of the Boulder County v. Suncor lawsuit, in terms of the legal claims presented, procedural history, and current posture.
- November 19 – Virtual CLE Event: Colorado Shareholder Ramsey Kropf serves on the Program Committee for the RMMLF Water Law Institute, co-sponsored with the ABA Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources (SEER). Join Ramsey and Sarah Klahn in this virtual CLE setting plus networking reception. The original in-person format for the Water Law Institute has been rescheduled to November 2021, with this year’s shortened version continuing knowledge sharing of emerging issues for water law practitioners and all environmental and resource professionals.
- Coming soon – Live Webinar: Leila Behnampour presents another “Water Law for Real Estate Professionals” workshop, sponsored by Boulder Area Realtors Association. Attendees will gain a basic understanding of Colorado water law, learn how to best inform and advise clients when water rights are involved in the sale of a property, and understand how water is used and administered in the state. The class is accredited by the Colorado Real Estate Commission for 2 CE credits. Attendees will learn practical resources to begin water rights due diligence and who to consult with on more complex water rights issues. Registration coming soon.
In Case You Missed It
- Congrats to Sacramento-based attorney Michelle Chester, who recently passed the Colorado Bar Exam (during a pandemic!)
- Colorado Shareholder Sarah Klahn has been appointed to the Board of the Colorado Water Trust, a statewide nonprofit that has since 2001, restored nearly 12 billion gallons of water to 444 miles of rivers and streams across Colorado. According to Sarah, “the Colorado Water Trust is the only non-profit of its kind in Colorado, and it’s devoted to working on creative ways to keep water in streams to enhance natural resource values such as fisheries and habitat. It works closely with the State and many other governmental entities, as well as farmers and ranchers, to build relationships and find opportunities for win-win solutions on water supply issues.”
- Somach attorneys have been recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© 2021 in Sacramento and Denver and the firm has been ranked among the “Best Law Firms” in water law.
- Our firm is pleased to be a Founding Member for California and Colorado with the Western Water Market, an independently owned, online listing service helping to connect water right buyers and sellers in communities across the West. The service aims to create a comprehensive, publicly available database of water rights for sale and lease, and water right buyers.
- STAY CONNECTED and SUBSCRIBE. SSD publishes Policy Alerts on case decisions, legal trends, and key developments within the fields of water, natural resources, environmental, public land, public agency, toxics, and hazardous waste, and land development law. We typically post twice monthly and whenever we can add value to timely events in our communities.
Published October 20, 2020
Read more news and alerts »