We invite you to catch up with Somach attorneys and clients through this snapshot of our press releases, alerts, events and media coverage.
Events & Activities
- January 21-23 – Indian Wells, CA: During the 2020 Winter Conference, Bobbi Larson enjoys a tribute luncheon as the outgoing executive director for the California Association of Sanitation Agencies. Attending water professionals also hear from experts on topics of concern, including legislative and regulatory developments, litigation, innovative technologies and more.
“Bobbi Larson was CASA’s executive director from 2012 to 2019. During her tenure, she worked to build a high-functioning, cohesive team of staff and consults and solidified CASA’s position as the most trusted, credible and effective advocate for California wastewater agencies. She now serves as a special advisor to the organization, where she provides strategic advice and support on regulatory issues, legal issues, and special projects.”
Bobbi previously served as CASA’s contract director of legal and regulatory affairs as a shareholder with SSD from 2002 to 2012. She earned her JD at the University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, and her BA in Political Science from the University of California at Riverside.
- February 4-7 – Atlanta, GA: With the theme of Chasing Zero: How Today’s Policies are Shaping the Future of Clean Water, NACWA’s 2020 Winter Conference will explore how public clean water agencies are on the front lines navigating a regulatory movement that is ratcheting down water quality targets, approaching zero in some cases. Bobbi Larson has organized a Women’s Water Network Breakfast (RSVP Required). Fellow female colleagues will enjoy a thought-provoking and self-reflecting breakfast on mentorship and the broader role employee-to-employee coaching contributes to women in the water sector!
- February 20-20 – Reno, NV: Ramsey Kropf presents an update on the Klamath River takings case during the “Western Litigation Update” panel at this year’s Family Farm Alliance Annual Conference.
- March 3 – Santa Rosa, CA: Kelley Taber delivers the “Advanced CEQA Workshop” for the Association of Environmental Professionals. This workshop is designed to help consultants, regulators, applicants, and industry professionals stay current on legal trends and hot topics affecting the application of the Law and Guidelines.
- POSTPONED >>> April 2 – Davis, CA: Join Kelley Taber for a panel discussion on the Delta Tunnel at the 29th annual California Water Policy Conference, taking place at UC Davis on April 2 & 3. The conference will bring together water leaders representing agricultural, environmental, urban, environmental justice, government, and private sector constituencies and perspectives, as well as interested individuals from the general public, to tackle California’s water supply challenges.
In Case You Missed It
- Rich Deitchman has been promoted to shareholder and Andy Hitchings was named as the firm’s new managing shareholder, succeeding Tess Dunham. Andy previously served in the firm’s lead management role from 2012 through 2015. Read the full story.
- We’re pleased to be named a Tier 1 firm in Sacramento for Natural Resources Law and Water Law by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” in 2020. We received Second Tier rankings in Colorado for Water Law and in Sacramento for Energy Law. This is the 10th Edition of “Best Law Firms.”
- Sarah Klahn has been recognized as one of Denver’s Top Lawyers 2020 by 5280 Magazine. The annual listing of the best attorneys in the region was published in the January 2020 issue. Results are obtained through a peer survey conducted in the seven-county Denver metro area and editorial interviews.
- Welcome attorney Ellen Simmons, who recently passed the California Bar Exam.
- SSD publishes Policy Alerts on case decisions, legal trends and key developments within the fields of water, natural resources, environmental, public land, public agency, toxics and hazardous waste, and land development law.
Published January 14, 2020; updated February 26, 2020