Maximilian C. Bricker
Maximilian “Max” Bricker advises public and private clients in Colorado across a range of natural resources matters, including Colorado water rights and Colorado water court litigation. Prior to practicing water law, Max co-managed farming operations for his family’s 33-acre walnut orchard near Visalia, California. That real-world work experience shapes his understanding of the water supply challenges clients face amid ongoing drought conditions.
The Association of California Water Agencies awarded Max its 2021 Stephen K. Hall Water Law & Policy scholarship, given annually to a graduate student who is dedicated to working for a safe and stable water supply through sound water management policies. While at Sturm College of Law, Max was a staff editor and court reports editor for University of Denver Water Law Review.
Before law school, Max graduated from Cal Poly with degrees in Agricultural Systems Management and Agricultural Business. He has served as the General Manager of Henry Miller Water District near Bakersfield, California, and worked for J.G. Boswell Company where he oversaw the installation and operation of various irrigation systems and participated in the preparation of Groundwater Sustainability Plans.
In his free time, Max enjoys playing and watching sports, finding the best places to eat, and traveling domestically and internationally with friends and family.
Insights and Activities
- Co-author, “Historic Drought Year Leaves Colorado River Basin Water Users High and Dry,” Somach Simmons & Dunn Environmental Law & Policy Alert, June 29, 2021
- Co-author, “California State Water Resources Control Board’s Draft Emergency Regulations Likely to Lead to Curtailment for Delta Watershed Water Users,” Somach Simmons & Dunn Environmental Law & Policy Alert, July 28, 2021
- Recipient, ACWA Stephen K. Hall Water Law & Policy scholarship, 2021
- Editorial Board, University of Denver Water Law Review, Fall 2019 – Spring 2022
- Selected Best Senior Project, Agricultural Systems Management, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, 2016 Class: “Crop Selection, Cost Analysis, and Irrigation System Design for the Replanting of a Nut Orchard”
- Formerly Certified Agricultural Irrigation Specialist
- Author, LEGISLATIVE REPORT, H.B. 2475, 54th Leg., Reg. Sess. (Ariz. 2019), 23 U. Denv. Water L. Rev. 97 (2019)
- Author, COURT REPORT, S. Dep’t Army Corps of Eng’rs v. City of Fort Peck, 445 P.3d 828 (Mont. 2019), 23 U. Denv. Water L. Rev. 281 (2020)
- Author, BOOK NOTE, Western Water Rights and the U.S. Supreme Court, 24 U. Denv. Water L. Rev. 71 (2020)
- Author, CONFERENCE REPORT: 41st Annual Colorado Law Conference On Natural Resources, 25 U. Denv. Water L. Rev. 157 (2021)
- University of Denver, Sturm College of Law (J.D., 2022)
- California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo (B.S., Agricultural Systems Management, 2016)