We invite you to catch up with Somach attorneys and clients through this snapshot of our press releases, alerts, events and media coverage.
Events & Activities
- Welcome Sarah Klahn, new shareholder in Colorado, who started with us July 1st!
- Firm News: Somach lawyers recognized in 2018 Super Lawyers lists and 2019 Best Lawyers lists
- Managing shareholder Tess Dunham serves as one of the chief architects of a program designed to deal with the problem of salt and nitrates in the soils that seep into key groundwater basins of California’s Central Valley. Learn more about her work for the Central Valley Salinity Coalition in this article published by the Water Education Foundation.
- Ramsey Kropf heads to Seattle on July 19th and 20th for LSI’s conference on Tribal Water in the Northwest. She’ll be discussing the Klamath Takings Case and implications for tribal treaty rights.
- Be on the lookout for the August issue of The Water Report where our Richard Dietchman will present a white paper titled “Klamath Adjudication: First Five Years of the Judicial Phase.”
- The California Association of Sanitation Agencies‘ 63rd Annual Conference in Monterey, August 8-10, will feature a CV-SALTS presentation by Tess Dunham.
- The Groundwater Resources Association of California is convening the First Annual Western Groundwater Congress, September 25-27 in Sacramento. Tess Dunham joins a panel of experts to discuss the CV-SALTS and Nitrate Control Program, a session that will describe these programs, the technical basis for their establishment, and their expected impact on groundwater management and agriculture in the Central Valley of California.
- Read about our work for the Central Valley Salinity Coalition in this article published July 13, 2018, by the Water Education Foundation: Vexed by Salt and Nitrates in Central Valley Groundwater, Regulators Turn to Unusual Coalition for Solutions
- Congratulations to BBID on being recognized via historical declaration for its commitment to protect the oldest water rights in California. In remarks read into the Congressional Record from the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives, Rep. Jeff Denham (R-Turlock) congratulated BBID for receiving the Association of California Water Agencies’ 2017 Excellence in Water Leadership Award. He also recognized the District’s “bold actions in defending the water rights of the farming communities within their area of service.” We appreciate the opportunity to work on this meaningful and impactful case moving forward.
In Case You Missed It
- We co-hosted a Sacramento Mixer for members and prospective members of the ABA Section on Environment, Energy, and Resources. Interested parties may contact our Lauren Bernadett for details.
- SSD publishes Policy Alerts on case decisions, legal trends and key developments within the fields of water, natural resources, environmental, public land, public agency, toxics and hazardous waste, and land development law.
Published July 2, 2018; updated July 17, 2018; updated August 15, 2018